Saturday, September 15, 2012

September 11, 2012 Beaufort National Cemetery

The stillness here is nearly palpable.  The original graves were of men who died in the Union hospitals during the occupation of Beaufort in the Civil War.  Others were from Savannah, Charleston and Hilton Head.  About 2, 800 remains were relocated from cemeteries in Millen and a prison cemetery at Lawton, Georgia.  In 1989 19 Union soldiers, missing in action since 1863 and discovered on Folly's Island were reinterred here.

As I leave in the car,I can hear taps  playing from a 9-11 ceremony in the White House Rose Garden.
And later, I hear the news that the American ambasador to Libya and three other Americans were killed in an attack on the consulate in Benghazi.

On 9-11-2001, I was driving to work when I heard on the car radio that a plane had crashed into one of the twin towers.  I stopped at the bank where the teller and I discussed our puzzlement over the
event.  At work, I had to do a mental status exam on a 65 year old woman. Outside my office, workmen were on a ladder working on something above the ceiling.  They had a small radio and at times I would open my door and they would tell us what happened next.  They told us another plane had crashed into the second tower, then one into the pentagon and one into a field in Pennsylvania.  We are stunned.  The woman did poorly on her exam.  I have often wondered if this was a valid exam or whether it was impacted by the events happening simultaneously.

That night, we were facilitating a therapy group for perpetrators of domestic violence where now the discussion rose to violence on a global level as well as in the hearts of human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment