Thursday, March 7, 2013

March 5, 2013 Return to Sesquicentennial

Sesqui is located at 9564 Two Notch Rd., Columbia, SC 29223.

Last summer I was lost on the six mile Mountain Bike Trail on a very hot day when I met another hiker who was also lost.

Today I took the Sandhills Hiking Trail circling the 30 acre lake.  The lake is owned by flocks of Canadian Geese who are permanent residents here.  When I was a child, Canadian Geese actually lived in Canada and came down here and there to winter in the South.  I remember traveling to a lake in North Carolina to see the geese who spent the cold months there.  Now the geese have given up their Canadian citizenship and don't bother to travel anymore.  Their honking is very loud.  They are tame and even aggressive to picnicers who they expect to feed them.  They may even hop on to your table.
Today there are three mallards on the lake as well.

There is a cold light rain but I am shaded by trees including water oaks and breathing in the icy air feels very good.
Fox squirrels and pileated woodpeckers live here as well, but are in their lairs, burrows and retreats out of the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment