Wednesday, December 4, 2013

October 21, 2013 Paddling Boyd Creek

Last night I watched a full yellow moon rise in a deep blue buttermilk sky over the marshes at Knowles Island.  Far across the way I could see the rotating light on the Hunting Island lighthouse.

I have canoed before, but this is my first experience of kayaking.  We loaded up and drove to Boyd Creek. I had a fat baby blue kayak which seemed to want to drift to the right. I kept going into the spartina grass. Our leaders demonstrated a T rescue.

At noon, we put out at a picnic shelter and had our bag lunches which we had packed earlier.  Back into the creek and finally out at a place called Saltzberg, stacked the kayaks on the trailer and drove back muddy and wet and happy.

My upper arms and shoulders ached. We threw our clothes in the washer and sank into hot baths.

I sat on the balcony watching the green, gold, and brown grasses, the marsh, the water.  Aaaah.

Note:  Bill Hamel, Master Naturalist and One of "The Pinckney Island Wildlife Preserve honored Seven" is a volunteer who tends to and keep the Preserve open.  He tells about Port Royal Sound  watershed and the visisitudes of low country estuaries, the destruction humans have done to the sacred salt marshlands and black water salty fingers of water.

Boyd Creek travels into Jasper County where there is great poverty.  Next to Jasper is Beaufort County with Paris Island Marine Base, and Hilton Head and other islands where the very wealthy vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment