Wednesday, February 12, 2014

February 8, 2014 The Volks March at Hunting Island State Park

The Friends of Hunting Island are out early at the base of the Lighthouse in the picnic shelter for the start of the annual Volks March, a fund raiser for the island. We had spent the night in the Lighthouse Keeper's house and noticed the light was out in the lighthouse.  The "Friends" tell me that they have voted to replace the light.

At 9:00 am in a light, cool rain, I take the 5K beginning at the Lighthouse trail behind the restrooms and through the pine and palm trees near the beach. To the right is the tree graveyard where huge oaks, pines and palms have fallen as the ocean moves inward.  Between the marsh and the beach, a rivulet runs where someone has put a pallet for a foot bridge.  Pink flags show the way to the campground where I get my March ticket stamped and turn to the left up the road from the hwy into the campground, past the Ranger's House on the left and then enter the forest/jungle to the left on the Magnolia trail.  There may be a magnolia somewhere on this trail, but I didn't see it.  Instead there is the pine needle covered winding trail through the Palmetto Palms and sheltering twisted oak trees.  I meet only one of the "Friends" carrying an umbrella and walking the walk backwards to check for safety.  The trail comes out again in the parking lot near the Lighthouse.

In the cabin, I meet my grandchildren, whose parents have taken them to the beach to dig alligator nests with stones for eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment