Sunday, May 4, 2014

May 3, 2014 An Earthly Paradise

At dawn, I open my door to an earthly paradise:  a symphony of hundreds of birdsongs, pink and red roses with a perfusion of blooms, yellow bearded irises, so ancient that I had dug them up out of the woods where tall trees had grown up around them, deep blue and white Dutch irises and one execellent black bearded iris. and at the door, pink striped and maroon clematis on either side.

The weather is perfect on the Cottonwood trail. The Great Blue Heron is flying high up in the cloudless sky. A red headed woodpecker sweeps across the wetlands and alights on the trunk of a tree.  The air is sweet with the fragrance of blooming white wild roses.

"Twas brillig"

The soft cotton-like puffs of seeds from the Cottonwood trees are floating in the air, covering the ground and the surface of the wetland pools.  It is said that when the cottonwood seeds float in the air, it is time to fish for crappies.

A Dakotah storey (Dale Childs) exists about a lonely and curious little star who came to earth and hear the beautiful sounds of music and laughter from a small villlage.  The little star hid in the leafy branches of the cottonwood tree to be near the people of earth.

And here is the refrain of the Marty Robbins song "The Cottonwood Tree":

Oh, cottonwood tree, are you waiting for me
Waiting to take me away
I've done no wrong but the town cannot see
And so with my life I must pay....
Majestically standing out here all alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment