Wednesday, June 4, 2014

June 3, 2014 Snake at Sundown

I found a big desiccated snake on the trail, not a skin, but a complete animal with head and tail down to the tiniest point, flattened and in the condition of jerky.  I picked it up and put it in a plastic bag I had in the car.

A young man came along to examine it and declared it a black snake.  He did not think the head was diamond shaped and discounted the patterned scales.  He said he had heard that you must cut the head off the body or it will find its two separated parts and rejoin them.  I had heard somewhere back in my childhood that if you kill the snake, you  must bury it before sundown to make sure it is really dead.  Of course I did not kill this snake.  Probably a passing car flattened it and somehow it got off the road onto the trail.

A woman ran by and asked me if I had bought the snake at Steinmart as that was the logo on the plastic bag.

I am taking the snake to Matthew on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment