Monday, September 8, 2014

September 7, 2014 Devil's Fork State Park, The Oconee Bell Trail, Spooked

The blooming wild plants along the Foothills Hwy 11 are announcing the Fall that is nearly here: wild coriopsis in huge yellow  clumps, goldenrod in all its varieties, fields and hedges of purple and red morning glories, the Joe Pye bush in dusty pink profusion, Elkhorn sumac, pink Scottish Thistle and here a stand of Okra, six feet tall with blooms like hibiscus.  Driving Southwest along the escarpment of the mountains, passing Jones Gap, Caesar's Head, Table Rock, Sassafras Mountain, Keowee-Toxaway, over the Keowee River and the right turn toward Salem and then it is  3 miles to the park.

Side roads are Whipporwill Hollow, Chapman Bridge Rd.  A sign nailed to a tree says "REPENT" and then a sign for Jocasse Tours proclaims "Welcome to Paradise".

There are two trails, the Oconee Bell and the Bear Cove Trail.  I intend to walk both. The Oconee Bell starts down some steps at the single vehicle parking lot near the park office.  This park is about Lake Jocassee and the big lot is for vehicles pulling boats.  The park is for fishing, but it appears most visitors are enjoying boating and picnicing and sunbathing on the water.

The Oconee Bell Trail is a lovely loop where in late March you can see the rare Oconee Bell plant in white bloom.  I find the plants with heart shaped leaves along the way.  Andre Micheau, the botanist, first discovered these plants in 1787.  (The French Huguenot ancestors of my family included Micheaux.  It would be nice to think that some were the Micheau Botanist brothers).  The trail moves up and down along a narrow creek, at times the water courses in short waterfalls over black mountain rock.  I counted four foot bridges and one bench near one of the little falls.

This trail was only a mile and since it was cool and lovely, I drove back down from the office area to the day area by going right on Devil's Fork Rd, another right on Buckeye road and up the hill to another park recreation area building where there was a snack bar:  coffee $2.00, hot chocolate $2.00, ice cream and other goodies, kayaks and canoes  in a multitude of colors for rent as well as umbrellas, chairs and other equipment. Here there are picnic shelters and a path to walk in camping. Between the shelters, the Bear Cove Trail winds into the woods.  I am ready to go when a great hulk of a hiker looms beside me speaking to me and plunging into the trail. I notice there are no other hikers and I wait for a while sharing an apple with Boofa.  I am torn. I want to walk the trail, but I decide with immense regret to leave.   I am spooked.  The forest can be a lonely place.

No comments:

Post a Comment