Wednesday, January 27, 2016

January 26, 2016 On the Gervais Street Bridge

Snow, rain and ice for the last three days in the Upstate.  Escaping down I-26, a dark green Chevrolet van, close to the ground and covered with the detritus of sludge, salt and dirt from frozen Wisconsin sails past me on its way to the coast.

The Saluda and the Broad converge at the fall line in Columbia to make the wide Congaree.  The Columbia Canal Walk and the River Walk through Cayce have been closed since the flooding in the fall.

It is 10:30 am and I am standing on the Gervais Street Bridge watching gulls careening over the rocks and three Canadian Geese dipping and diving in a quiet pool near the banks of the wide Congaree.

A voice beside me says, "Isn't it beautiful?"

A young man, bright blue eyes, white T-shirt and jeans asks me the name of the river. He wants to know if you can kayak there. He tells me his father saved the life of a girl who fell into a river from a kayak once.
He is from Syracuse, NY, but was born in Columbia.

As he walks away, he says, "The Holy Spirit will lead you."

The sky is a powder blue with milky soft clouds spun through it.  The sun is shining again.

You Are My Sunshine

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are gray
You'll never know dear,
How much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away.

The other night, dear,
When I was sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
When I awoke, dear,
I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried.

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are gray
You'll never know dear
How much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away.

* sung by the blogger at gatherings all around Rajasthan, India, a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment