Thursday, May 17, 2012

May 16, 2012 Walking the Ravenel Bridge Back and Forth

Charleston, the Holy City (so called by some because of the many historic churches).  The Arthur Ravenel, Jr.  Bridge, dedicated in 2005, spans the Cooper River from downtown Charleston to Mt.
Pleasant.  Eleanor and Hanah both ran the Cooper River Bridge Run on the old Cooper River Bridge when they attended The College of Charleston.  Michael entered the poster contest for the run twice. His entries hang in a hallway of the Medical College downtown. John and Colleen's wedding
was held at Lowndes Grove Plantation on the East bank of the Ashley River near the Citadel.
Today I was on the bridge by 6:30 am along with a handfull of other runners, walkers, and bikers.
Low hung grey clouds were beginning to part with scraps of blue sky peeking through. I began from the Mt. Pleasant side of the river near Patriot's point, Ft. Sumter and Ft. Moultrie.  The view from the top is breathtaking.  I can see the old Yorktown over to the left and downtown Charleston to the right.  I call all my children on my cell phone and tell them where I am.  Soon I am on a kind of walker's high rounding the water fountains on the Charleston side and walking back up again toward Mt. Pleasant.  I meet two women with T shirts that say "Census" and "Airforce". They say they walk the bridge once a week. A thin bike rider with a neat white beard and an eye patch pumps bravely past me up to the top.  Back on the ground, I see a sign that proclaims: East Coast Greenway, Maine to Miami.

Here is an exerpt from a letter my great great grandfather wrote to his son, G.G. Welsh  (my great grandfather, Christopher's brother) on July 18, 1861:

My dear Son, I now employ my present moments in writing you a few lines informing you of the condition of our public and private affairs at home.  We are all well at home as far as I know, and hoping this may find you and your friends and associates enjoying the same.  You wanted to know the No. Bales of Cotteon.  About 110.  I had one stolen and have had no news of it.  Parker is gone. Jammon Gardner is my overseer and I think he has made a very good start and hope he will hold out.  My pork is not all killed yet.  We have had quite an exciting time of it ever since the ordinance of Secession was passed.  The Militia of our up country are almost daily on parade and the domestic interests of the country are almost entirely said down. The appeareance of the Harvest Lane in view of the Cartistonians, but first, the evacuation of Fort Moultrie.  Next the Harvest Lane and third the attempt of the Star of the West to reinforce Ft. Sumter all added to the excitement of the people.  But our crowning glory is the way in which our leaders and those in command acted on that perilous occasion......We will all be down soon if called for.....If I have to leave, the family may move to the village.  I saw Dr. R.V. Crawford one of our  Delegates to State Convention and he told me he did not know you were there.  I also gave him 50 dollars for you which he said he gave to Col. J.H. Witherspoon for you.  You ought to make youself known to all the men from Lancaster  Many of them would be proud to see you.  If you do right which I hope you will always try to do.  I told Dr. Crawford to tell  you to remain in Charleston until the  last gun was fired. A father's counsel - be diligent, be frugal, be temperate and be doing in every sense the best you can for you may use well  your conduct.  Your conduct will be closely scrutinized......All sends thus Love and affection to this.
Write soon. J. R. Welsh (John Rushing).

No comments:

Post a Comment