Monday, February 20, 2012

Circa Spring 1972 The Peace Pilgrim

I met the Peace Pilgrim around this time in a park in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  She was an uncanny spirit, electric white hair pulled back and tied, dark clothing, the kind of face you see on musicians in their older years.  By this time, she had been walking across the US and Canada for 19 years having started out in 1953.  At one point she would have covered over 25,000 miles, through 3 wars. At this time, the Vietnam War had not ended.  This is her quote:
"I am a pilgrim, a wanderer.  I shall remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace, walking until I am given shelter and fasting until I am given food."  She continued to walk until 1981
when she was killed in a car accident while she was being driven to a speaking engagement.

There has to be a kind of spirit present in long distance walking.

La Peregrina de Paz

No comments:

Post a Comment