Sunday, February 5, 2012

February 5, 2012 The Mary Black Rail Trail

This trail was built along the old course of the train rails between Pine St and Union St.  It is 1.8 miles long so that if you go down and back, you will have gone 3.6 miles.  When it was first built, there were some assaults to walkers and runners. A year ago, I returned to my car and found the windows of neighboring cars smashed.  Now there are cameras at some points and occassional police patrols.  Recently, this small city was named the 8th most dangerous in the U.S.

When Boof and I begin the trail it is foggy, damp and 51 degrees and when we return it is sunny and getting warm.

There are the aromas of pork barbeque from a restaurant on Pine St as well as the perfume wafting from the plant that makes potpourri nearby.

I have walked here perhaps 200 times.  There are regulars:  families, a man in a wheelchair who walks his dog, a runner with a dachshund in a child's stoller, an Asian runner who wears the rubber shoes that have toes, housewives, college students and my favorite, a petite white-haired lady who wears an Epcot shirt and walks 8 miles every single day.

Two Christmases ago, I came out at the break of dawn when there was no one around and decorated a tree  along the path with Christmas ornaments.

I plan to do that next year too.

No comments:

Post a Comment